NCERT Class 6 Chapter 1 Social Science | Understanding Diversity
Answer the following questions.
1. Ladakh is a desert in the eastern part of ……………………………
2. Ladakh is famous for the production of what kind of cool?
3. Pashmina shawls are mainly woven in …………………………
4. Which place is known as Little Tibet?
5. Name the Tibetan national epic.
6. Name the religion followed by the majority of Tibetans.
7. Which South Indian state is famous for the cultivation of spices?
8. Who brought Christianity to India?
9. Name the famous Arab trader and traveller who visited Kerala about 700 years ago.
10. Who discovered the sea route to India?
11. Name the Portuguese sailor who discovered the sea route from Europe to India?
12. The place where British officers massacred peaceful people who had assembled to protest against the British rule in India
13. Who wrote the book Discovery of India?
14. Who coined the phrase Unity in Diversity?
1. Jammu and Kashmir
5. Kesar Saga
8. St. Thomas
9. Ibn Battuta
10. The Portuguese
11. Vasco da Gama
12. Jallianwala Bagh
13. Jawaharlal Nehru
14. Jawaharlal Nehru
Questions and answers
1. In spite of being a desert, Ladakh attracted many traders. Why?
Ladakh has many passes through which traders could carry textiles, spices, silk and carpets to Tibet. Because of this reason it attracted many traders.
2. Why do people of Kerala eat rice, fish and vegetables?
The fertile land and climate of Kerala is suitable for growing rice and a variety of vegetables. Also, Kerala has a long coastline and fish is available in plenty. Hence, people of Kerala eat fish, rice and vegetables.
3. Describe the food habits of people of Tibet
People of Tibet mainly eat meat, milk and milk products. Tibet is not suitable for growing rice, wheat or vegetables because the region receives hardly any rain. People here keep sheep, goats and cows and eat their meat and milk.
4. What is diversity?
Diversity is the variety that can exist in the looks, culture, character, traits, abilities, languages, food habits, clothes and beliefs of the people.
5. What is inequality?
Inequality is the difference that arises when a person does not have the resources or opportunities available to other persons. Inequality can be caused by many factors including caste and poverty.
6. What does diversity add to our lives?
Diversity makes our life more interesting. It allows us to eat different kinds of foods, celebrate different festivals, wear different kinds of clothing and speak different languages. Without diversity people everywhere will be speaking the same language, eating the same food and wearing the same kind of clothes.
7. Why did ancient people travel from one place to another?
Ancient people travelled from one place to another in search of new lands, new trading opportunities and employment. Sometimes people travelled to survive famine and drought and to escape from wars and other conflicts.
8. Why do people travel from one place to another?
People travel from one place to another in search of new lands, new job opportunities, for learning and for doing business.
9. What are the differences that can be seen between Ladakh and Kerala?
- Ladakh is in the north eastern part of India.
- It does not receive any rain and is not suitable for agriculture.
- People earn a living by keeping sheep, goats and cows.
- The main occupation of people is raising sheep and collecting wool.
- People mainly eat meat, milk and milk products.
- Ladakh is a desert area and remains covered in snow during most part of the year.
- Kerala is situated in the south west of India.
- It receives enough rain and has a fertile land and climate suitable for agriculture.
- Kerala is famous for its spice plantations which attracted traders from all over the world.
- It is surrounded by the sea on the west and the Western Ghats on the east.
- People mainly eat rice, vegetables and fish.