Use Of Simple Past Tense
Structure: Subject + past tense form of the verb
- I wrote.
- They played.
- She danced.
- The baby smiled.
- It rained.
- The fire burned brightly.
- The birds sang sweetly.
- I worked hard for my exam.
The simple past tense is used:
1. To describe an action completed in the past.
- She came yesterday.
- I received your letter yesterday.
- His father died two years ago.
- She wanted to be a nurse.
2. To talk about a habitual action in the past.
- I attended the church regularly in my youth.
- My father went for a walk every morning.
- Granny always brought us nice gifts.
Notes: To talk about a habitual action in the past we can also use used to + infinitive.
- I used to attend the church regularly in my youth.
- My father used to go for a walk every morning.
- Granny used to always bring us nice gifts.