Major Events That Took Place on December 25
People all over the world celebrate Christmas, the birthday of Jesus Christ, on December 25. Actually, 25th December is a monumental day. A lot of events having both national and international importance took place on this day. Here are some of them.
- Marco Polo, the Venetian merchant who traveled around the world, set his foot in China for the first time on December 25, 1275.
- Joan of Arc, whom the French consider as a national heroine, became the Queen of Orleans on December 25, 1430. She played a crucial role in the Hundred Years’ War and was later canonized as a Roman Catholic Saint.
- John Calvin, the French theologian and father of the theological system called Calvinism became the pastor of the Protestant Reformation on December 25, 1536.
- Famous spiritual leader and theologian Immanuel Cant received doctorate in Philosophy on December 25, 1755.
- Johann Goethe, who is widely known as the Shakespeare of Germany, completed his play ‘Gots Von Berli – Chingen’ on December 25, 1773.
- Ludwig van Beethoven, the German composer and pianist, organized his first concert on December 25, 1783.
- English poet Lord Byron wrote his famous poem ‘Hours of Idleness’ on December 25, 1807.
- Clara Burton, who founded American Red Cross Society and who served as a nurse during the Civil War, was born on December 25, 1821.
- Pundit Madan Mohan Malavia, who founded the Banaras Hindu University was born on December 25, 1861.